The Fisheries Commission is the implementing agency of the Ministry of Fisheries and Aquaculture Development (MoFAD). We are constituted to be the actualizing force behind policies and regulations established by MoFAD. We are therefore responsible for all monitoring, control, surveillance, evaluation, and compliance functions in all areas of fisheries development and management in Ghana, including fish health, post-harvest activities, safety, and quality assurance.
Our work at the Fisheries Commission is guided by MoFAD’s policies and regulations, and we also provide valuable feedback to MoFAD to inform future policies.
To effectively and efficiently perform our mandate, we are organized internally into five (5) divisions and four (4) units, namely:
- Marine Fisheries Management Division (MFMD)
- Inland Fisheries Management Division (IFMD)
- Fisheries Scientiﬁc Survey Division (FSSD)
- Monitoring, Control, and Surveillance Division (MCSD)
- Operations and Administration Divisions (OAD)
- Fish Health Unit (FHU)
- Monitoring and Evaluation Unit (MEU)
- Post-Harvest Unit (PHU)
- Projects Unit (PU)
The Commission is headed by the Executive Director.